The very thought of a Mediterranean Europe cruise, evokes images of long lazy sun-filled days floating on the crystal clear waters of the Mediterranean Sea. Encompassing Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, Turkey, Greece and a slew of other countries, Mediterranean Europe cruises are not only about recharging the batteries but are in fact a great way to see Europe.
Mediterranean Europe cruise itineraries are varied with plenty of options to explore the numerous archaeological sites, monuments, churches and ruins that dominate the Med.
Shopping is possibly the only activity that can lure cruisers out of the vast number of "must-see" attractions and adds to the appeal of a Mediterranean Europe cruise. Antiques, crafts, jewelry and glasswork are abundant, and small boutiques in Paris or large districts like the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul often house unique finds.
Extend your stay pre/post Mediterranean Europe Cruises
- Shop Istanbul's Grand Bazaar, a concentrated collection of 4,000 shops selling, gold, silver, clothing, books, purses and more, a feature of many Mediterranean Europe cruise itineraries.
- Stroll the Baixa in Lisbon, Portugal and find elegant shoes.
- Discover pearls and pottery off Spain's Mediterranean Riviera in Mahon.
- A perfect opportunity on Barcelona Mediterranean Europe cruise departures -attend a concert in Barcelona at the Palau De La Musica Catalana, one of the world’s most extraordinary music halls.
- Tour vineyards in Bordeaux, France's wine country, and partake in wine tasting.
- Spend time in the Grand Socco in Tangier, Morocco and learn the secrets of snake charming.
- View Gibraltar' Saint Michael's Cave, an immense natural cavern, and the great Siege Tunnels, a system of tunnels carved out of limestone in the 1780's.
- Walk the embattled beaches of Normandy, which are indented with WW II bomb explosions.
- Explore Amalfi's Emerald Grotto, a cavernous chamber of stalactites and stalagmites.
- Witness Malta’s Tarxien Temples, archaeological remains dating back to 2,500 B.C. that are considered to be the world's most impressive prehistoric temples.
- Behold the Sistine Chapel in Rome and gaze upon the priceless ceiling frescoes of Michelangelo, including the 'Creation of Adam' before starting your Mediterranean Europe cruise.
- Step inside Barcelona's opulent Gothic cathedral, Catedral De La Seu, and see beautifully carved choir stalls, Santa Eulália's tomb and a battle-scarred crucifix.
- Experience Paris' Louvre, which houses some the world most priceless paintings and sculptures, including the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo.
- Investigate Katakolon's Archaeological Museum, which houses Archaic, Classical and Roman sculptures, including the famous Niki 'Winged Victory.'
- Admire Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Islamic and Asian art and European acquisitions in Lisbon's Museu Calouste Gulbenkian.